Head of Health, Safety & Environment
What Abbeyfield Offer You
At Abbeyfield, we are committed to rewarding our staff for their hard work. Our benefits include:
- Competitive pay, benchmarked against the market
- 33 days paid leave, including bank/public holidays
- Comprehensive induction,
- Learning and career development opportunities
- Occupational sick pay
- Company pension
- Discounted gym membership
- An employee assistance programme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Shop and save vouchers
Your role at Abbeyfield
This is a home based role predominantly, but with a requirement to travel to our varied portfolio of Care and Housing schemes across England when required.
The Health and Safety of our residents, staff and visitors is paramount to Abbeyfield. We are looking to recruit an experienced and suitably qualified Head of Health, Safety and Environment to help our Charity maintain high standards. This role will predominantly based at home, but with the ability to travel to our sites up and down the country, where required.
The Head of Health, Safety and Environment will be required to take the lead on all corporate health and safety issues and ensure full compliance across the organisation with a focus on Housing and Care. The successful candidate will be supported in their role by a Health and Safety Officer and Fire Risk Manager and sit as part of the wider Quality and Compliance function.
The role will be required to support all departments throughout Abbeyfield, but particularly the colleagues within the wider Quality, Property and Senior Management Teams.
The key skills, experience and qualifications this role requires are:
- Substantial experience of working in a Care or Housing environment
- The ability to give practical advice on a broad range of operational issues
- NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent qualification
- CMIOSH status or similar and minimum of 5 years operational experience in a similar role
- The confidence and ambition to drive health, safety and environmental issues forward and the ability to influence others to do the same
- Experienced in interpreting, understanding and implementing health, safety and environmental legislation
- To be engaging and communicative and able to liaise at all levels in the organisation
- The ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- The ability to manage, guide and develop a small team and oversee their work
- The ability to write relevant Corporate Health, Safety and Environmental Policies and Procedures in a large organisation
- Practical experience of dealing with subjects such as Fire, Asbestos, Water Safety, Gas, Electricity and CDM works.
- The ability to present training courses when required
Please state notice period and current salary when applying for this role. Note that all new employees must provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID 19.
Previous candidates need not apply. NB - We do not accept agency submissions.
The Abbeyfield Society