Head of Health, Safety & Environment
What Abbeyfield Offer You
At Abbeyfield, we are committed to rewarding our staff for their hard work. Our benefits include:
- Competitive pay, benchmarked against the market
- 33 days paid leave, including bank/public holidays
- Comprehensive induction,
- Learning and career development opportunities
- Occupational sick pay
- Company pension
- Discounted gym membership
- An employee assistance programme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Shop and save vouchers
The key skills, experience and qualifications this role requires are:
- Substantial experience of working in a Care or Housing environment
- The ability to give practical advice on a broad range of operational issues
- NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent qualification
- CMIOSH status or similar and significant operational experience in a similar role
- The confidence and ambition to drive health, safety and environmental issues forward and the ability to influence others to do the same
- Experienced in interpreting, understanding and implementing health, safety and environmental legislation
- To be engaging and communicative and able to liaise at all levels in the organisation
- The ability to manage, guide and develop a small team and oversee their work
- The ability to write relevant Corporate Health, Safety and Environmental Policies and Procedures in a large organisation
- Practical experience of dealing with subjects such as Fire, Asbestos, Water Safety, Gas, Electricity and CDM works.
- The ability to present training courses when required
Note that all new employees must provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID 19.
For over 60 years, Abbeyfield has been a charity that provides housing for elderly people across the UK and internationally. It is our mission to enhance the quality of life for our residents through excellent accommodation in a stimulating environment to help maintain a socially active life.
Abbeyfield is more than a home; it’s a neighbourhood, a community, a family. Our core behaviours are to be welcoming to everyone, celebrate the positives, work collaboratively, take responsibility, and be adaptable to changing circumstances.
Best of all, we’re a charity, meaning that the interests of our valued staff and residents sit at the heart of what we do, not shareholders.
Your role at Abbeyfield
The Health and Safety of our residents, staff and visitors is paramount to Abbeyfield. So we are looking for an experienced Health and Safety professional who shares our passion and vision to develop a safety culture across our charity, and to maintain high standards.
The Head of Health, Safety and Environment will lead on all corporate health and safety issues, and champion compliance and best practice across the organisation, with a focus on Housing and Care. The successful candidate will be supported in their role by two direct reports; a Health and Safety Officer and Fire Risk Manager.
A Great Place to Work
This is a remote, home based role predominantly, but with a requirement to travel to our varied portfolio of Care and Housing schemes across England when required.
Please state notice period and current salary when applying for this role.
Interviews will be held face-to-face in our Head Office in St Albans on Thursday 30th September.
The Abbeyfield Society