The Abbeyfield Society are a national charity helping to alleviate loneliness and isolation in older people by providing companionship in our supported housing accommodation, retirement apartments and care homes.
Located in the friendly suburban village of Winnersh near Wokingham, Winnersh is a purpose built, dementia friendly, innovative residential care home, which has been developed to allow freedom of movement throughout. We offer personalised and tailored care to meet all needs delivered by our friendly, professional and caring team.
The Role of Activities Coordinator:
This role is a full time vacancy of 35 hours per week. This does also include working some weekends.
- Within Abbeyfield we believe that maintaining and improving the social and mental health of our residents is as important as their physical health. In the role of Activities Coordinator, you have a vital role in achieving this.
- You will provide a varied range of social activities suitable for your residents.
- You'll naturally get to know your residents as individuals, and involve them and others at all stages of the activity development process, and tailor each activity to their current physical and mental needs and abilities, including those with dementia.
- You have the responsibility but also the great pleasure of developing positive and supportive relationships with our amazing residents. You can use their life stories, experiences and interests to collate a selection of personally meaningful activities which will most engage that person, maintaining their choice to be as involved, or not involved, as they wish.
- You will work in partnership with other staff and volunteers, utilising their skills and expertise and motivating and supporting them throughout their involvement.
- Responsible for each activity running as smoothly as possible, you’ll plan and obtain all needed supplies and deal swiftly with any concerns raised.
- You will maintain an up to date record of relevant information including resident involvement and past and planned activities.
Rewards and Benefits:
At Abbeyfield, we are committed to rewarding our staff for their hard work. Our benefits include:
- Competitive pay
- 31 days paid leave, including bank/public holidays
- Comprehensive induction
- Unlimited opportunities to earn £500 via our 'refer a friend' scheme
- Life Assurance
- Pay progression within role
- Learning and career development opportunities
- Occupational sick pay
- Company pension
- Discounted gym membership
- An employee assistance programme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Shop and save vouchers
- Medical cashback scheme allowing costs of medical expenses (dental, opticians and much more) to be claimed back
- Opportunity to obtain Blue Light Card discounts.
- You’ll be highly organised, and able to work using your own initiative.
- Creative, with a fresh approach to planning activities, you’ll also be a naturally caring person, who is empathetic, and understand the needs of older people, including those with dementia.
- Able to communicate and interact well with a wide range of people in varied situations, you’ll also be patient, with the ability to remain calm and tactful in sensitive situations.
- You’ll also be able to build strong relationships, and by doing so you’ll be a strong and supportive team player.
If the role of Activities Coordinator is something you would be interested in applying for, please apply today and attach a copy of your CV. We would love to hear from you!
The Abbeyfield Society